18 August 2015
14 August 2015
We're already dreaming about next years trip!
01 June 2015
15 May 2015
As I was getting dressed the other day I realized that I have some S E R I O U S favorites in my closet that I incorporate into my everyday outfits pretty regularly. In fact, I don't think I know how to build an outfit without these 10 items! Luckily my closet is on the smaller side, which doesn't allow for a lot of "extras" that end up getting pushed to the back or buried under piles. What I have hangs right in front of me, or folded in a bureau close by and I'm well aware of each and every piece of clothing I own (I do have a bin that I alternate winter/summer clothes).
I tend to stick to the classics that will grow with my style, can be coordinated with a handful of different outfits, and will be around for a long time. I am not a clothes hoarder, in fact my new rule is "one thing in, one thing out". So whether I donate or sell it, I try to lighten the load before I add more to it! These versatile staples are the foundation to my closet and get used A L O T... makes getting dressed every morning so much easier too!
10 Closet Staples
Here are my staples in action!
Every girl should own a black dress (similar, similar)! It really truly is a piece that you can throw on for any occasion. Dress it up for a formal event, or dress it down for work.
If I could call you up right now and tell you how comfortable and flattering this Vince tee is, I would! I have never owned a more comfortable tee before in my life! The color block is fun, and hits you in all the right places (I'm wearing a medium). I honestly can't believe I haven't purchase another one yet! Also, those skinnies I'm wearing are glued onto my body 24/7/365. If I had it my way, I would probably never take them off, ever. I've worn them in so well! (:
I found this chambray top a couple of years ago at Maurice's (similar, similar, similar) and wear it all of the time. In fact, I'm wearing it right now as I type this post. It's very breathable and another great piece to dress up or down - I wear this skinnies/chambray outfit into the office all of the time! This is also my favorite "plane wearing" outfit (if that's a thing?), It keeps me so warm, and again... extremely comfortable!
I own way too many of these oxfords. Every time I'm in RL, I end up picking out another and another and they all get plenty of use! My favorite thus far is the classic white oxford (I'm wearing size 2, and it's starting to get a little snug on the shoulders). I mentioned these boardwalk shorts (similar) from J. Crew on here before, and I think they're worth mentioning again. I love the pattern and color, and even though they're bright and bold, I've been able to pair them with a handful of grey, white, and black tops! Love my neutrals! Oh! and they have pockets!! (I'm wearing size 2).
I bought these jeans (skinny version) from the outlets in North Conway this past winter and lurve with a capital URVE them. I needed a comfortable pair that weren't skinnies that I could slip on and off easily. Oh look, there's that white oxford making another appearance (; Those Tory Burch Thora sandals (my most recent purchase) are a new addiction for me.
I can't say enough good things about this oxford, can I? Dressing it up with my favorite seersucker skirt (similar) from Ann Taylor. This skirt is so flattering, and is the perfect length for me. Another favorite that usually finds it's way into an outfit a couple times a month!
13 May 2015
- I use their damage remedy right after I get out of the shower to help detangle the mess that is my hair. I always apply a quarter sized amount on my damp hair, and then comb through it. This helps protect my hair from heat styling from my flat iron and blowdryer.
- My hair does not hold a curl, nor will it ever, however a bottle of the smooth infusion naturally straight was gifted to me and I have used it a few times. I usually towel dry my hair and then apply this in sections right before I style/blow dry it. Even though my hair is naturally straight as it is, I noticed that when I use this, it leaves my hair very soft and it doesn't crimp as easily.
- My most recent Aveda purchase was the air control hair spray. I love that it is a dry delivery, and does not leave your hair looking stiff, crispy, or crunchy. It holds fly aways down really well, and doesn't feel heavy on your hair. My only complaint would be the smell. I know that Aveda has a very distinct natural and plant like aroma to their products, however L told me the other day that I smelled like his dad and now whenever I catch a wiff, I can kind of smell what he's talking about. If it's any consolation, I did ask my boss what her thoughts were and she said she liked it, and loved the smell of Aveda, so maybe it's just L getting to me.
What I'm interested in:
- I bounce back and forth between shampoos and conditioners and have yet to settle on one that I really, really love. In an effort to wash my hair less, I've been using Schwarzkopf's silver shampoo every couple of days to help keep my blonde locks, blonde! Honestly, any purple shampoo will work, however I do have my eye on Aveda's blue malva shampoo.
- I've heard that their volumizing tonic does wonders when you spray it on your roots (when your hair is damp) and then blow it, leaving your hair with more volume and some shine!
- Phomollient styling foam is another great product that helps to bring more volume to your hair. Again, this is to be applied to damp hair to help give it more body when you blow it out.
- I currently have a damaging spray that I really like, but when I run out I'm going to give the brilliant damage control spray a go. I've been getting much better with exposing my hair less to thermal damage, however it never hurts to have a good spray on hand!
What are your favorite Aveda products?
This is not a sponsored post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
11 May 2015
- kay - I guess I only have one?
four jobs I've had:
- real estate agent
- sandwich artist (my glory days)
four movies i've watched more than once:
- ermmm lifetime movies? I'm an addict.
- the town
- the great gatsby
- law abiding citizen
four things in my
- old hotel key cards to bar harbor & north conway (they're so pretty, and make me so happy)
- student i.d. - you would be amazed by the amount of places that offer a student discount!
- advil - I am the queen of headaches
- 10+ unneeded and unnecessary keys
four places I've lived:
- - boston
- - southern maine
- - middle of a corn field, ohio
- - southern new hampshire
four favorite drinks:
- chocolate milk
- rum & cran
four of my favorite foods:
- - mexican food!!
- - tortellini (L'Osteria in the north end has the best!)
- - breakfast foods; eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes, etc!
- - pizza
top four places i've traveled:
- - bar harbor (read more about that breathtaking trip here!)
- - dominican republic (here)
- - holland
- - the caribbean
four favorite places to shop:
- - j. crew
- - l.l. bean
- - target
- - t.j. maxx/homegoods
four places i'd like to travel:
- - hawaii
- - alaska
- - all over the country (this is the map i'll be following)
- - somewhere tropical
four tv shows i'm currently watching:
- - grey's anatomy (i know, i know... 11 years and still faithful)
- - scandal
- - american crime
- - flip or flop
four things i'm looking forward to in the next year:
- - doing everything and all things boston.
- - figuring out where our next home will be.
- - graduating! finally, my bachelor of science in biology!
- - taking a much needed celebratory trip with L!
What a fun list to write up! Have you done one? If so, comment your link!
08 May 2015
- I was looking at our living room earlier and decided that it needed some more "spring" color incorporated into it. I ran out and bought the beautiful orchid pictured above, and have my eyes on these cute watercolor floral pillow covers and these stained glass covers from West Elm! What do you think!? I would love to put some more purple, blue, and green in that room.
- Have you ever heard of Packed Party before? It's a site where you can send and receive themed party packages. What a genius idea for when you need a quick gift for someone! They have mother's days ones!
- This is going to be one of my next organizing projects. Everything she touches always ends up looking so clean, fresh and welcoming. I want her skills!