LIFE AS YOU LIVE IT: My Movie Rant!

My Movie Rant!

27 March 2013

Somehow, I've been able to keep up with some of the hot movies that have been coming out recently (and by that, I mean in the last 6+ months). If $5 movie night + free popcorn at out local theater isn't calling my name, Redbox and library rentals certainly are!

Monday, my brother, sister, Landon and I all went to see 'Olympus has fallen', but they literally sold out while we were standing in line :( The backup plans were either 'Safe Haven' (which Landon & I had already seen, but Nina really wanted to see), 'Snitch', 'The Call' (umm, the previews freak me out, and I would certainly have to go with a group including Landon to even survive the first 5 minutes), or 'Identity Thief' (I heard it was funny!). Because of the timing, 'Identity Thief' was playing around the same time, so we all bought tickets for that!


This movie was so funny! I really, truly enjoyed every minute of it, and didn't find myself looking forward to the credits. Melissa McCarthy does such a great job playing the part, and she was a real hoot to watch. Jason Bateman, was of course, hilarious and cute as well! It was also directed by the same person who directed Horrible Bosses, another plus!




Another movie that I recently saw was Safe Haven, of course! Every girl probably dragged their man to the theater February 14, to drool over Josh Duhamel. This movie was so cute, and it had a twisty sad ending that is happy too! Julianne Hough rocked her role as well! Makes me want to live in SC/NC... wherever Sparks bases all his books out of! And of course, I must go read the book now as well!



My brother rented Flight from Redbox, so I figured I should watch it too (especially after watching the Oscars Sock Puppet Parody of it)! Like the others, I really enjoyed it too. Denzel Washington is a boss at what he does, and I loved the action in the movie. In the end, you're left feeling so happy and proud of Whip Whitaker! 

One of the reasons I watch the Oscars is to create a checklist of movies that I SHOULD rent and see. Among the top nominees that I had already seen were Les Miserables, Lincoln and Skyfall. So far I have rented Beasts of the Southern Wild, Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook, and Argo.



Beasts of the Southern Wild. I think Quvenzhane Wallis did an outstanding job with her performance, not to mention she is only nine! However, I had a hard time really getting into this movie. It didn't really draw my attention, and I found myself slightly confused... a lot. 



Life of Pi. I loved, LOVED the friendship that Pi Patel built with his Bengal Tiger friend, Richard Parker and the journey that ensued, however, I am an animal lover, and even though I know that they were all animated, and that it was just a movie, all the animals dying was just too much for me. =/ When the animals were swimming around stuck in the boat. Sad. When the zebra fell into the lifeboat and probably broke all its legs. Sad. When the hyena killed the zebra. Sad. When the hyena killed Orange Juice. Sad. Not to mention, the ending is kind of sad too. I don't know, maybe I'm just a big sap! 



Silver Linings Playbook. I was able to watch this one on the plane home from the DR last week, which granted wasn't the best quality, but was still a treat! I'm not surprised one bit at all that Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were nominated as best female/male lead actor/ess in a leading role! AND, it has a happy ending, which is what always makes a movie good! (: 



Argo! I am so glad that this movie won the Oscar's Best Picture Award, because it deserved it 100%! They definitely had some tough competition, up against Amour, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Django Unchained, Zero Dark Thirty and Les Mis, but none of them even matched this historical drama thriller! I mean, this is history PEOPLE, and it recently became declassified information in '97! Everything in this movie matched the historical significance of this incident, right down to the actors and actresses! Pretty cool! Not to mention, they even had the real Tony Mendez, President Carter, the original six, and many other originals talk a little bit about the experience in the extras. Pretty cool!! 


Okay, I think I'm done with my little movie rant. I just wanted to put in my two cents about some recent movies that have come out! There are so many, many more that I want to see. Maybe I can build up enough confidence to go see 'The Call". Ehh, I don't know. 

--K

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs