LIFE AS YOU LIVE IT: DIY Gun Rack Chalkboard

DIY Gun Rack Chalkboard

24 May 2013


I've been obsessing over chalkboard paint for awhile now, and have been constantly brainstorming ideas as to how I could put it to good use!

I love the idea of chalkboard walls, but I really don’t have the space for one. I really wanted to design a fun chalkboard with a neat frame that incorporated the bright yellow and gray color scheme that I am working with for my room. I spent time searching the local goodwill and thrift shops for a huge picture frame with a wood backing and a beautiful frame. With no luck there, I found myself back at home shifting through some old stuff that was in the barn and garage.


I came across this neat old gun rack with a beautiful frame and a nice piece of sturdy, flat, smooth wood. The gun rack worked as a perfect frame, and I used the board of wood as the chalkboard.



After cutting the board down with a circular saw to fit the back of the frame, I applied 3 coats of chalkboard paint. Granted, you probably only need 2 coats, but Mouse kept running across the board getting his little paw pads black all while leaving cute little footprints.



...and what’s a project without the helper cat! Love him!


After that finished drying, I painted the back of it a coat of gray so that it wouldn’t be just the brown wood showing.



I painted the frame a bright yellow (Better Homes and Gardens: Dandy Lion) to accent the same shade of yellow that is on my pillows. I applied 3 coats, and I did 2 coats of the gray (Better Homes and Gardens: Old Driftwood).





Once everything dried, we used a hydraulic nail gun to attach the chalkboard to the frame. Wire nails would be sufficient as well. We also nailed para cord to the back to use it to hold the piece. I touched up some paint mishaps (and let me tell you…. There were A LOT!), and voila! It was ready.



Overall, this was a really fun project! The painting took awhile because of all the coats and color changes, but I think it turned out great!

--Kaylie

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs