LIFE AS YOU LIVE IT: Computer Disaster 2.0

Computer Disaster 2.0

09 March 2016


Well, it happened again. 

Almost a year later after my first computer snafu I had my Macbook unexpectedly go out on me again, reducing me to tears... yet again.
And because I never learn... everything was gone. again. Every single document, picture, and download. Thankfully, after a quick trip to Micro Center in Cambridge, they were able to back everything up on an external hard drive, wipe the computer free, and re-download everything. Thank goodness!

I wanted to share a few pointers that I have learned throughout the process from both crashes.

  1. BACK EVERYTHING UP
    This sounds like a no-brainer, however, I OBVIOUSLY did not learn the first time. It is safe to say that everything is now living in a little external hard drive that I can frequently update.

  2. YOUR BOOKMARKS WILL BE SAVED IF YOU USE GOOGLE CHROME
    Yes, they will be. So make sure you are bookmarking everything under an account. I have hundreds and hundreds of bookmarks saved for random sites that I know I will want/need to revisit later on.

  3. ICLOUD DRIVE - WHAT A GENIUS IDEA!
    I used to save everything that I needed onto my desktop where I could access it easily. That worked up until I had no desktop. I'm not sure why I haven't been doing this before, however it is so easy to move an iCloud drive folder down onto your dashboard and access all of your documents from there. Now everything is simultaneously saved no matter what device I access it from - my work computer, iPhone, iPad? It's all there and updated!

Now that everything seems to be back in working condition, I hope to pick up where I left off and continue posting away! (:
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Oh no!! I'm so sorry it happened again! That's a huge fear of mine but thankfully I have started using Google Drive a lot more to back things up. I need to get everything on there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! Ugg, what-a bummer...hopefully St. Patrick's Day will bring you some luck!
    Katelyn-Theyellowspectacles.com

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs