LIFE AS YOU LIVE IT: sweetgreen dupe: Vegetarian Harvest Bowl

sweetgreen dupe: Vegetarian Harvest Bowl

20 April 2016



I'm sure I've mentioned on here before that I tend to stay away from food that starts with "s" and end in "alad", however to my surprise, I may have turned a new leaf. A friend recently introduced me to the world of sweetgreen, and I have been growing more and more interested ever since, one of my favorites being the harvest bowl.

I wanted to share a sweetgreen dupe that I put together at home. It's very similar to the harvest bowl, however it is vegetarian friendly and a few of the ingredients were adjusted to better satisfy my tastebuds.


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup wild Rice
  • 1/2 cup chick peas
  • 1/2 cup sweet corn
  • 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup apples
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 4 cups chopped kale
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
Combine all of the ingredients into either a large mixing bowl or sealable container and mix until the dressing has been evenly distributed. 

I truly believe that the chopped apples are what do it for me in this salad. Kale is such a boring veggie to eat, however the apples sweeten it up like none other, and the almonds give it a fun crunch! The chick peas and corn also add some fun flavor to it as well!


RANDOM STORY: Unfortunately, there is not a location within convenient walking distance to the North End (yet), however my sister and I made it our mission to have a salad from there this past Monday so we laced up our walking shoes and trekked it out to the Pru to indulge. Our attempt to get sweetgreen turned into a two + hour adventure similiar to Harold and Kumar go to white castle minus all of the smoking. You would think that being a resident of Boston I would have some idea as to the events that go on in this city!? I do... I just don't apply this knowledge when I need to. Of course this past Monday was marathon Monday so the usual route out there had obviously been rerouted since the finish line is very close to the Prudential Center. Boy am I glad we made it out there though! We made it just in the knick of time as the first men and women's finalist were turning onto Boylston Street! The cheering and support from the thousands of spectators that lined the street was so inspirational and the look of triumph on the runners faces as they turned onto Boylston street was amazing! Everyone is so supportive of ALL of the runners and it carries on even after the race when the runners walk around the city wearing their marathon jackets. So much support! I had goosebumps the entire time!

And in case you're sitting on the edge of your seat wondering, yes we did end up finding our way over to the Prudential Center to eat our salads after taking a different route.


 What's YOUR favorite sweetgreen salad?

post signature

1 comment:

 
site design by designer blogs